Christmas Dangers for Pets
Keep your Festive Season Festive
Christmas and New Year are upon us again. We hope you all have a terrific festive season and your pets do, too. Sadly, every year at this time, a number of animals end up with entirely preventable serious health problems. We do not wish to spoil your holiday by creating a lot of worry, but here are some hints to keep your pet safe:
Plants like lilies are always a risk to cats, and dogs to a lesser extent, but at Christmas time, people give each other more flowers than usual. We actually advise that cat owners do not keep lilies in their homes or gardens. Also, plants like mistletoe, poinsettia and holly are around our houses at this time of year, and pose a significant risk to pets. They should be kept out of reach.
Most houses are awash with chocolate at this time of year. It is important to keep chocolate, and foods containing, well out of reach of dogs, as it is very poisonous. Other hazards for your dog are onions (cooked with Christmas roasts of stews), grapes (often served with the cheese board) and raisins (in Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, and mince pies). The severity of grape and raisin poisoning is not dependant on the amount eaten, so even one or two grapes or raisins can be highly dangerous. It is easy to get distracted and not notice a dog getting at food in the pot, bin, or dirty plates, so please be vigilant!
Tinsel, string from wrappings (and meat joints), and ribbons are irresistible to many pets, especially cats. They are a choking hazard and can cause serious intestinal blockage.
Bulbs and ornaments may look like toys to your pets, and they may be tempted to chew or swallow them. Just use common sense – if you wouldn’t let a small child play with it, don’t let your pet.
If you think your pet may have been exposed to any of these risks, please phone us for advice. If we are closed you will be given the number of the duty vet. Please do not leave it to chance or wait and see.
We wish you all a happy and healthy Christmas.